What I'm Reading At The Moment

AT THE MOMENT I AM READING...BEOWULF (AS TRANSLATED BY SEAMUS HEANEY)

Tuesday 5 August 2014

5th of August 2014

5th of August 2014

Welcome to the second edition of this, my attempt at a less generic and formulaic blog, which somehow hasn't failed yet. In this issue I'll be delving into predominantly my interests in the world of music whilst also recommending the best TV series since Game of Thrones (which quite frankly isn't saying much).

I start this issue all hyped up from the recent news that I can expect to hear Jessie Ware's second album, 'Tough Love' later this year, the lead single of the same name is extremely promising for what's to follow. A calm piece of alternative pop with Jessie's minimalist vocals swooping over the exquisite production like a mother cradling a baby, leaving the listener 'crying out for more'. Also blaring up on my radar of music most perceptibly is the early 90s referencing smooth R&B of long established crooner MNEK. His most recent song, and most likely to become a massive hit, 'Wrote A Song About You' though at times seeping into cheesiness, is an upbeat retro throwback of most stunning accord.

In terms of books, seemingly part of the initiation into becoming a lawyer is reading Dicken's 'Bleak House', a task that I took upon myself with much concern, the huge 880 page classic at first to many readers I'm sure seems like some unforgiving hill that they can't imagine climbing, indeed I would have given up had it not been for the ecstatic reviews of peers in the law world egging me on. The book that follows the seemingly inconclusive Jarndyce vs Jarndyce case indeed, shockingly became  a real page-turner, perhaps through the shear abundance and variety of fascinating characters, from the enduring politeness of the protagonist Esther Summerson, the chilly and secretive air of Lady Dedlock, the childish stupidity of Skimpole or the predatory unease that one gets around Mr Vholes. My perhaps only complaint is one that comes with all Dicken's novels, the almost pantomime like amount of shocking coincidences, that really become predictable and slightly annoying. You'll always find one character finding their long lost son/daughter who you wouldn't have even thought of relating to them...except now you will predict this relation due to the shear abundance of similar occurrences, rather depleting the intended magic of the realisation.

I end with my newfound obsession with the Channel 4 sitcom 'Friday Night Dinner'. Never before had I even taken a second glance at it but the at-the -best-times odd and perhaps even childish humour makes it one of the best sitcoms I've seen in ages.

1 comment:

  1. #newblog #dickens #mnek #jessieware #music #sitcoms

    ReplyDelete